Virtual Q&As and Events
Due to concerns surrounding the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the SAG Awards will determine and announce if and when in-person events are safe for Nominating Committee members to attend. Until that time, all events must be virtual.
All SAG Awards Q&As and virtual events require the studio or network to be responsible for all aspects of the event, including arranging a recognized virtual space, booking a moderator, creating an invitation, managing RSVPs, sending confirmations, and check-in. The SAG Awards will approve invitations and send to members.
Booking Q&A Dates
The SAG Awards does not allow competing official Nominating Committee FYC events. In order to invite the SAG Awards Nominating Committee to an event with a Q&A, you must hold and book the date on the SAG Awards Q&A Calendar Portal.
Register for a 2020 Q&A Calendar Portal account HERE.
If you have previously registered, you must register for a new account.
Requests for holds will be accepted in two phases during the pre-nom period:
Summer: July 20 - Sept 30, 2020
Fall/Winter: Oct 1, 2020 - Feb 1, 2021
A maximum of 4 national virtual Q&A events per title are allowed during the pre-nom period.
Available National Screening Time Slots
All slots are 3 hours in length, and include up to 1 hour of leeway on start time.
Rules on Holds
- Any virtual event hold or booking requires member access to FYC content prior to the event.
- If holding an event immediately following a live screening, the time slot held on the Q&A calendar must accommodate both the title’s runtime and the anticipated event length.
- Up to 4 consecutive days may be held per title, per city.
- No more than 6 individual holds will be accepted for any given time slot. We will not accept holds in 7th place or higher.
- We will not accept general or TBA holds. All holds require a film or television title.
Challenging a Date
- A company may challenge a hold only if the challenger is ready to book (i.e. venue/virtual space and talent confirmed) if the original hold releases the date.
- Each hold ahead of the challenger will be contacted and given 24 hours to either book or release the date.
- A company that successfully challenges and books a date may incur a penalty if the booked event is then canceled.
Booking a Date
- You may only book a date if you have a venue/virtual space and talent confirmed for that time.
- Any date held under a particular title must be booked under that same title. Any request to book under a different title must be approved by the Awards Office.
Q&A and Event Guidelines
Making Content Available Prior to a Virtual Event
- If digital screener access has not already been made available to members, the studio/network must provide access prior to the event. This can be done in one of the following ways:
o Screening Window - where viewing access is provided up to 10 days prior to the Q&A event.
o Virtual Screening - where the title is viewed live on a specific date and time and followed by a Q&A panel.
- Digital screener access or screening window prior to the event is encouraged.
- If holding an event immediately following a live virtual screening, the time slot held on the Q&A calendar must accommodate both the title’s runtime and the anticipated event length.
- Films must be screened in their entirety.
- Films screened for consideration must be a final cut. The SAG Awards may consider exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
- Q&A panels should feature cast members, and may only include participants who are directly associated with the film being screened.
- If screening a film for the 2nd time, we encourage different cast or participants on the Q&A panel.
- Episodes screened must have aired during our eligibility period – January 1, 2020 - February 28, 2021.
- Clip or sizzle reels are only approved for screening on a case-by-case basis, depending on the Q&A format, please contact the Awards Office for approval.
Throughout the season, members may reach to you or our Awards office asking for special accommodations due to a disability. We encourage studios/networks to try and comply with ADA laws to allow screening accessibility for all. Please see a few resources for ASL interpreters below.
- The Sign Language Company - (818) 728-4241 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- LINKS - (888) 742-0070 - email@example.com
- Rev - Offers live captioning for Zoom and more - firstname.lastname@example.org
Filming or Streaming Q&As or Virtual Events
- Any recording and/or streaming of a Q&A must first be cleared with the Awards Office and requires a signed Q&A coverage agreement.
- Q&As may only be referred to as one of the following terms listed below:
- “SAG Awards Q&A” (or “SAG Awards Event”)
- “SAG Awards Nominating Committee Q&A” (or “SAG Awards Nominating Committee Event”)
- “SAG Awards Nom Comm Q&A” (or “SAG Awards Nom Comm Event”)
SAG Awards Nominating Committee screenings may be shared with other industry voting groups (All Guild, PGA, WGA, DGA, etc.).
Event Invitations & Confirmations
The SAG Awards will send out invitations for virtual Q&As and events via E-Blast to Nominating Committee members or our SAG Awards RSVP (wide) list.
Member RSVP confirmation emails are required for each event. Please include the following details:
- Link or access to view content - if applicable
- Date and timing of event
o If screening live, indicate start time of screening and start time of Q&A portion.
o Will people be able to come into the event once it has started?
- Login information
- Technical Support contact
- Cancellation email
For more information on E-Blast and event invitation guidelines, requirements, fees, and templates, click HERE.
Additional Screening Options
Awards Screening Websites
- For studios who would like to make their screening websites available to Nominating Committee members for virtual events or when in person events resume, please send the URL to the Awards Office and it will be posted on our private password protected Nom Comm member site.
- Any URLs specific to our group must NOT use the term “SAG”. You may use “SAGAwards” or “SAGAwardsNomComm”.
- When noting Nom Comm affiliation in RSVP webforms (drop-down menu, etc.), do not use the term “SAG”. You may use “SAG Awards” or “SAG Awards Nom Comm”.
Other Groups Available for Screenings
In addition to the SAG Awards Nominating Committees, companies may screen to the following SAG-AFTRA affiliated groups:
- SAG Awards “RSVP” Screening Program (general SAG-AFTRA members)
- SAG-AFTRA Foundation Conversations Series
- SAG-AFTRA Diversity Committees
Contact the Awards Office for more information. Titles screened to these affiliated groups will not count towards a company’s maximum Q&A total.